Silver Rainbow: LGBTI Aged Care Awareness In-Person Training
The Silver Rainbow LGBTI Aged Care Awareness Training Project is managed by the National LGBTI Health Alliance and is being delivered collaboratively with project partners across every state and territory in Australia. It is funded by the Department of Health until June 2020.
This inexpensive, essential, and relevant eLearning module and half-day in-person training for all workers in the aged care sector will help promote a better understanding of the needs of the LGBTI people and provide staff with more confidence to deliver an inclusive, best practice service.
- Knowing what LGBTI is for person-directed care
- The LGBTI communities
- What is the difference between sex characteristics, gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation?
- Societal impacts on LGBTI people
- Understanding the lived experience of LGBTI people
- Understanding the health impacts of social stigma and assumptions
- LGBTI health and wellbeing
- Health and social inequity for LGBTI people
- Lifestyles of older LGBTI people
- Mental and emotional health and wellbeing
- Inclusive Practice
- Industry best practice standards within the aged care sector
- Individual inclusive practice
- Organisational Change
- Legislation relating to aged care practice
- Government policy change
Duration: 6 hours including; 1-hour eLearning module to be completed before the 5-hour in-person training including a morning tea and lunch breaks.
Audience: Health and community workers supporting ageing clients.
Dates and Location: All in-person sessions will run at locations below from 9:30 am to 2:30 pm
Learners: Each learner registering needs a unique email address to be assigned the eLearning module.
Training Schedule (2019)