Understanding LGBTQ Relationships and Abuse In-Person Training
This full-day training is designed to help participant’s break down preconceptions about gender, sexuality and LGBTQ people and their experiences. Through understanding the everyday lived experiences of LGBTQ people, professionals can better relate with clients, meaningfully engage them and help their clients overcome barriers to accessing services. All training will integrate the latest research in the area of domestic and family violence (DFV) and sexual assault in LGBTQ relationships. Training can be tailored depending on group participants. Focus can shift between victim/survivor, people who use abuse and/or have a greater focus on sexual assault.
- Understanding the acronym and other identities
- What is the difference between sex characteristics, gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation?
- Understanding different types of relationships and family structures in LGBTQ communities
- How discrimination, minority stress and shame impact relationships and help-seeking.
Intimate partner violence, family violence and sexual assault
- Differences and similarities to non-LGBTQ relationships
- Understanding power differentiation in same-sex relationships
- Trauma in LGBTQ communities
- Myths, rape culture and unconscious bias
- Working with shame
- Workplace culture
- Recognising and overcoming barriers to accessing services
- Building rapport
Duration: 1 Full day (With appropriate breaks for lunch/tea)
Audience: Professionals Working with Clients Experiencing Domestic And Family Violence
- For up to 25 people
- Cost does not include travel outside of Sydney metro, catering, venue, or GST.
- Volume discount applies for purchasing more than 4 sessions.
||Training Venue||Seats Remaining|
|Sydney - Surry Hills||
||ACON - 414 Elizabeth Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010||
- Concession discount available, please click here for more information.
- Please make sure to read the cancellation/refund policy.
- Once payment is complete, you will get an email from firstname.lastname@example.org saying you have been enrolled into a new program. Click “Go To Program