LGBTQ Inclusive Practice for AOD Support Services In-Person Training
LGBTQ Inclusive Practice for AOD Support Service is a training session for health and community workers supporting clients with alcohol and/or other drugs (AOD) use looking to strengthen their understanding of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) people and communities. Participants will learn to deliver more inclusive, informed, and appropriate care. This 7-hour in-person training will introduce you to the LGBTQ+ acronym, expand your understanding of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and sex characteristics, and reflect upon the unique health and wellbeing issues faced by LGBTQ+ people, particularly those related to AOD.
- The LGBTQ+ communities
- What is the difference between sex characteristics, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation?
- Understanding the lived experience of LGBTQ+ people
- Understanding the health impacts of social stigma and assumptions
- AOD prevalence, patterns, and co-morbidities
- The context of use for LGBTQ communities
- Acceptance versus inclusion
- Implementing inclusive practice in day to day interactions
- Useful tips to increase inclusive service provision
- Experiential activities, scenarios, and case studies
- Differentiate between gender and sexuality
- Summarise the mental health and alcohol and or other drug disparities faced by sexuality and gender diverse people
- Review important events from LGBTQ+ history and the current legislation related to these priority populations
- Understand the context of alcohol and or other drug use within the sexuality and gender diverse communities.
- Detect areas for improvement within their role and workplace
- Develop strategies and implement actions to increase access and satisfaction of service for people with diverse sexuality and gender
- 7 hours, including morning, lunch, and afternoon catered breaks
- Professionals working in drug and alcohol support
Public Training Schedule (2021)
Surry Hills - Sydney
|ACON, 414 Elizabeth Street Surry Hills||
- Concession discount available, please click here for more information.
- Once payment is complete, you will get an email from email@example.com saying you have been enrolled into a new program. Click “Go To Program” to enrol for a course date. If you have not received this email, it may have been redirected to your junk/spam inbox.
- For up to 25 people
- Cost does not include travel outside of Sydney metro, catering, venue, or GST.
- Volume discount applies for purchasing more than 4 sessions.
We have COVID Safety measures in place. Read about our COVID Safety Measures here.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: In line with public health orders in NSW, all attendees are required to be fully vaccinated to be permitted into the training venue and must provide proof of vaccination to be permitted onto the training venue as well as check-in via QR code upon entry.
Invoices can be arranged, please email PrideTraining@acon.org.au for more information.
Please make sure to read our cancellation/refund policy.