LGBTQ Inclusive Practice for AOD Support Services In-Person Training
LGBTQ Inclusive Practice for AOD Support Service is a training session for health and community workers supporting clients with alcohol and/or other drugs (AOD) use looking to strengthen their understanding of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) people and communities. Participants will learn to deliver more inclusive, informed, and appropriate care. This 7-hour in-person training will introduce you to the LGBTQ+ acronym, expand your understanding of sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, and sex characteristics, and reflect upon the unique health and wellbeing issues faced by LGBTQ+ people, particularly those related to AOD.
- The LGBTQ+ communities
- What is the difference between sex characteristics, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation?
- Understanding the lived experience of LGBTQ+ people
- Understanding the health impacts of social stigma and assumptions
- AOD prevalence, patterns, and co-morbidities
- The context of use for LGBTQ communities
- Acceptance versus inclusion
- Implementing inclusive practice in day to day interactions
- Useful tips to increase inclusive service provision
- Experiential activities, scenarios, and case studies
- Differentiate between gender and sexuality
- Summarise the mental health and alcohol and or other drug disparities faced by sexuality and gender diverse people
- Review important events from LGBTQ+ history and the current legislation related to these priority populations
- Understand the context of alcohol and or other drug use within the sexuality and gender diverse communities.
- Detect areas for improvement within their role and workplace
- Develop strategies and implement actions to increase access and satisfaction of service for people with diverse sexuality and gender
- 7 hours, including morning, lunch, and afternoon catered breaks
- Professionals working in drug and alcohol support
Public Training Schedule (2021)
Surry Hills - Sydney
|ACON, 414 Elizabeth Street Surry Hills||
- Concession discount available, please click here for more information.
- Once payment is complete, you will get an email from email@example.com saying you have been enrolled into a new program. Click “Go To Program” to enrol for a course date. If you have not received this email, it may have been redirected to your junk/spam inbox.
- For up to 25 people
- Cost does not include travel outside of Sydney metro, catering, venue, or GST.
- Volume discount applies for purchasing more than 4 sessions.
Invoices can be arranged, please email PrideTraining@acon.org.au for more information.
Please make sure to read our cancellation/refund policy.