LGBTQ+ Inclusive Practice for Mental Health Services Webinar
Expand your accessibility to clients by providing a safe and inclusive space that delivers exceptional person-centred care.
Duration: 7 hours (1 hour via eLearning + 6 hours via webinar)
Audience: Professionals working in mental health support
Clients with diverse genders and sexualities come from all cultures and walks of life. Their lived experiences, as compared to the broad population, require specific considerations to communicate with and care for these populations respectfully and effectively.
This comprehensive, full-day training is designed to improve your knowledge and understanding of LGBTQ+ people and communities, addressing common questions including:
- What do LGBTQ+ and different terms for gender and sexuality mean?
- What should I know about the trans community?
- Why is inclusion important?
- What should I know about LGBTQ+ history and relevant current legislation?
- What are the current mental health priorities for the LGBTQ+ community?
- How do experiences of discrimination impact the mental health of the LGBTQ+ community?
- What challenges do the community face in healthcare settings?
- What are some ways I can be an ally?
- How can I be more inclusive in my practice?
Pride Training courses are developed and delivered by LGBTQ+ community members and subject matter experts, and include activities, media, open discussions, and access to a range of useful resources.
LGBTQ+ Inclusion Competencies are what we use to describe the actions of an informed, effective LGBTQ+ ally. All the information presented throughout this training relates to a specific competency, each with a different Learning Outcome to describe the skills you will have after completing the training.
- Competency: Demonstrates essential awareness of diverse communities
- Learning Outcome: Define LGBTQ+ and differentiate between gender and sexuality
- Learning Outcome: Describe some of the common shared experiences of the trans community
- Learning Outcome: Outline the history and impacts of discrimination on the LGBTQ+ community and the significance of reducing this through visibility and inclusion
- Learning Outcome: Demonstrate in-depth awareness of the mental and physical health disparities facing the LGBTQ+ community
- Learning Outcome: Describe the determinants of mental health for the LGBTQ+ community
- Learning Outcome: Discuss the unique challenges for the LGBTQ+ community in mental health service settings and strategies for increasing inclusion
- Learning Outcome: Implement practical LGBTQ+ allyship including inclusive language and appropriate terminology, creating safer interactions and physical spaces
- For up to 30 people
- Volume discount applies for purchasing more than 4 sessions
Invoices can be arranged. Please email PrideTraining@acon.org.au for more information.
Please make sure to read our Cancellation & Refund Policy.
Not sure which training is right for you, or want to book a customised training session? Fill out our Training Request Form.